Friday 28 September 2018

The first frost of autunm

Oh my how cold it was this tuesday! We had frost monday also, but it wasn't nearly this freezing...
On sunday I thought there might be a cold night ahead - full moon and clear skyes and all. I didn't cover my courgettes, beans or corns - corns are miserable this year (too little watering, I suppose) anyway and I have had enough courgettes and beans. And I also have three courgette plants in the polytunnel as well as few beans. Enough is enough!
Yesterday I did however pick all rest of courgettes (over 5kg I think), and last two strawberries (there is still more on plants, but they will not ripen anymore). Today I'm going to get all corn cobs (there is only few) and runner beans.
At the moment I have too much vegetables to handle, I got a cardboard box full of brassicas (brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower (purple and green) and cabbage heads. And I have my own red cabbages and kale. I really should be making sauerkraut.

It's been a busy week, d has been doing her work experience internship at a funeral parlour - she originally wanted to go to local art museum, but they weren't interested. Their loss I say. D has been thrilled to bits, she has been cleaning windows and dusting coffins and has told me "This was the best day ever!" every day... She has also learnt how to use local trains, so far she hasn't got lost. I'm sorry, but my children are different.

Next week I'll be off for few days (a work trip) and I have no idea how os is going to manage with 'Suma and cats. Hb is of no use, he has first ever night sifts in this millenia - last time he did night sifts it was 90's and he was 20 years younger... Actually I have done night sifts more recently.

I have lit a fire in the dining room stove three last evenings. Good thing we have loads of fire wood ready, most of it stacked already. I load wheelbarrow to the brim and push it to the shed and kids stack logs. Only one load a day, slowly but surely they will be stacked.

No comments:

Post a Comment