Wednesday 15 May 2019

Mixed feelings

I bought a bottle of maybe one of the most hated liquids used in gardening and farming.

RoundUp.

It's not that I don't know it's dangerous (carsinogenic and propably genotoxic; also toxic to aquatic life). It's not that I don't know how Monsanto has abused poor farmers in poor countries (well, around the globe). I also know it kills bees and stays on cold ground far too long (it actually halt it's breaking down during winter months).

After all that I bought a bottle, and I'm going to use it. Neighbourgh's yard has still some giant hogweed growing, and because plants grow all over property, it is impossible cover all ground to prevent giant hogweed to grow. And because it grows in abandoned yard, I can't burn it down because that might cause a bush fire. Some plants grow between rocks (most of them) so cutting roots is not easy and not very efficient, because I can't cut deep enought to kill plants. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.
I was initially told that giant hogweed is biennial, but in poor conditions it might take three years to produce flowers and die. Bah, now I know that if it can't produce flower head, a single plant will stay alive up to 12 years! And seeds stay viable ten years years.
Great.
Ignorance is a bliss.

Anyway, I have managed to kill 90% of plants, there is a major seedbank in soil, but maybe after five more years I should be a winner! I have been cutting them, covering them, weeding them and finally spraying them.

So, when there is no wind and no rain, I'll wear my protective clothing, gloves and all (not only because glyphosate, but because of furanocoumarin, it causes photosensitivity) and start my war against poor plant that can't run. I'm doing my best to work along The giant hogweed best practice manual    and guidance from my local environmental authority.




No comments:

Post a Comment