Sunday 22 March 2020

Social distance - week 1: Working from home and homeschooling

Oh, it's here. Covid-19, coronavirus. Whole Europe is shut.  Our children are at home, been since monday. I was at the office on mon and tue, I had to sort out my laptop which wasn't connecting to net. My office is told to work at home at least until April 13th -  as are kids homeschooling, too.

So this has been the first week of isolation (I'm not talking about social isolation, which is mostly the norm to us).

On wed I woke up at 4:30, just because I couldn't sleep anymore (hb wakes up at 4.15). Ate breakfast, checked emails, read all new info and, finally, when there was enough light, took 'Suma to walk. Then I put linens to washer, fed cats and read some more news. I let kids to sleep until 7.30 (usually I wake them up at 6.30) and fed them cereals. Nice slow morning.
Ys's teatcher had some papers for his class, so we had to fetch them - at 8.20 we were only ones at school (excluding staff).
So, the very first day of home schooling (not really home schooling, if all children in the country are at home and teatchers are teaching them via Internet). I was suprised all systems worked. I had trouble to go on with schedule - three childres all in different schools and of course they all have lunch breaks at different times - had to make quick lunch which was quick to eat. Tuna and pasta (a school lunch I have never made before...), at least I got one tin out of my pantry ;-)

Thursday was a challenging day, because I had compulsory training via skype - my lunch break wasn't at same time than kids etc. But we made it, and will make from now on. This is really a minor inconvenience.

Friday was another first: I was doing groceries to my aunt and Onld man and my mom. It took ages to find all things on shopping lists - there were plenty of everything, but I just buy different things. I had difficulties to locate them! But yes, I got all items. Also got medication for Old man, no problems there either. You can buy only one package of basic pain medication (30 tablets). Not because there isn't any, but because this way all people who needs it, will get it.

Shops here are in normal state. Toilet paper was missing from the shelves few days because staff was too busy to replenish them. Now there is mountains of toilet papers. Only shortage is hand sanitiser, but that will be solved next week, when basically all local breweries have set up their production lines for it.
Oh, yeast was missing, too. It is fortunate that there is at least a one yeast factory in this country (they produce CO2 for greenhouses, too) so this shortage is shortlived. I have both dry yeast in my pantry  and old fashioned block yeast in my freezer, it's that kind you can freeze (not all yeasts can be frozen).
Oh, cheap tomato tins were also missing, now that I think of it.

But mostly shops are like thay have always been. Salad bars are closed, staff have so much to do they don't have time to disinfect anything extra. Salad bar is nor necessity. There was actually a lot of reduced milk!
Prices have not gone up, at least I couldn't find anything with inflated prices.

Now they are talking about isolating certain areas, because people don't behave reasonably. I think there will not be curfew yet, but they might stop all travelling from capital area, and maybe other big cities.

I have only one more bigger issue: my car is due MOT very soon and it need some fixing before i can take it to MOT. but now I don't feel comfortable (or safe) to take it to garage. So - I might be buying a car in near future (not a new car, but one that has it's MOT done recently).

I have enough work to do for the next three weeks, so I will not worry that yet. Hb may have to stay at home some point, because he can't do his job from home and their products might not be considered essentials. I will worry that if it happens, and there's not much to worry, then. There's nothing I can do to prevent it.

Oh, I gave my name as a volunteer shopper/doing errands for those who are quarantined or isolated, our commune started to organize volunteers last friday; they also have staff at library if someone needs help and can't find anyone to help them. I can't work as a coordinator, because our poor phone signal, but I'll do what is needed.

Tomorrow is the first day of week 2. Ys will be baking cookies at home economics (or just at home), they all have video lessons or chats during the day. I have two skype meetings...

Keep safe, wash your hands and take care of those who can't do it themselves.
We will get through this, together.

No comments:

Post a Comment