Saturday 17 August 2024

If you need me, you know where to find me

 I'm mushrooming.


I'm trying to teach 'Suma to find shrooms.


She's not very eager, but patiently sniffs around. She doesn't have a clue what she's supposed to do, but it's ok, I love her even if she's not the smartest dog in the world. Not even the smartest dog I've had.

This year's harvest begun poorly. My veggie plot is eaten by snails, completely. Snails ate my pepper plants, beans, all salady things (and everything green which weren't weeds). Then I got decent harvest on black currants and now mushrooms are everywhere!


So far I've only found a dozen porchinis, but chanterelles, black trumpets and hedgehog mushrooms (Hydnum repandum) are are saving the day. Or winter, I suppose, because we will eat mushroom dish once a week next winter. Saves money but most importantly - we really really like mushrooms!


I know, I'm a bad forager. I don't have fancy baskets with separate compartments to different shrooms, I don't wear fancy outdoor clothing (my wellies are fixed with gorilla tape!) and I usually go mushrooming only as far as I can still see my house or yard...

1 comment:

  1. I don't think you're a bad forager; I think you're a real forager! I love that you are trying to teach 'Suma to find shrooms. Any type of harvest is good in my book. Glad to see posts from you.

    ReplyDelete