Wednesday 11 April 2018

Swans and cranes. And a skeleton

At sunday I finally saw our cranes. We have had a pair of cranes in our village for the last decade, maybe longer. Sometimes they are able to have one or two chicks. Sadly chicks rarely make to autunm alive, I think foxes eat them.

In our last walk on sunday evening (me and 'Suma) I heard loud trumpets behind the forest and waited to see if our swans will be coming. Yes! This is fourth spring they are here, they graze in the fields (sometimes right next to cranes) and sleep the night on a tiny island in the nearest pond we have right beside our property. Sometime around early June or late May they leave, the are not nesting here.

Now they are on the fields every morning when we walk to the taxi stop. This makes me feel summer is coming.

Skeleton was found yesterday. Poor deer had been killed sometime around Christmas/New Year and now there is only clean skeleton left. Some parts (mostly limbs) are missing, but it is almost complete. I made notification about it, but I think there isn't any suspicious about it, it is most likely been killed by lynx. Haven't seen any wolf tracks (and I don't think skeleton would have been so intact after wolves), and foxes can't hunt adult deers.


Haven't seen it before, because it has been covered in snow. Now more than a half meter of snow has already melted, so there might be some interesting discoveries to come still.

But founding the skeleton with 'Suma made me realize how different from our previous dogs she is. I wouldn't have dreamed to be able to call them away from the carcass just by asking nicely, they would've dragged at least a leg with them to home. But 'Suma, she just sniffed and nibbled the bones few times, wagged her tail and ran to me cheery as ever "Look what I found mom!"

No comments:

Post a Comment