Wednesday 7 November 2018

It's freezing (but luckily not for long)

It was -11 degrees the other day. I don't like cold, and I was to spend whole day outside on the forests works sites at customer meetings. Car's electric heater doesn't work so I had to turn the engine on and leave it running - not so good for the motor and even worse for nature.

It was beautifully sunny day, and it got a bit warmer - never above zero, but at least I had enough clothes with my hi-vis jacket and helmet. But I do need some long johns to wear, thights will not keep me warm. I need to check if hb has some old thermals small enough - he used to be really skinny.
The first snow 27th Oct.
Fallen trees have been cleaned, garage is usable as well as the driveway to front yard. Old man has been (finally) his usual self and they have made a huge effort to clean all aspens and birches that had fallen over root cellar (it would have been a disaster if the cellar itself had crushed - there is all potatoes, carrots, cordials, home wines, jams, pickles etc for the whole year, not only for my parents but to us as well, as well my sister's family). Insurance company will even pay gravel/soil which is needed to fill holes left from fallen tree roots. One villager with forestry harvester has been working on the site with all the big trees.

There is a garage somewhere, before the clear up
We spent one evening (from 5pm to 9pm) to clear out the attic of garage, builders are about to come to fix the roof (including rafters). We had our own bonfire night, my mother wanted to burn all paper and cardboard and clothes (like old cotton tights that had lost their elasticity a long ago). Some of my old toys went to bonfire as well - not many, because I really didn't have many toys. I was more of a reader, I salvaged some old books from recycling. I surely have read my Enid Blytons - at some point I had all of  The Famous Five -books (and The Adventure series). My godmother had a job in a printing house. But my sister - boy she had had toys and stuff! We left about a dozen huge carboard boxes for her to sort out. My brother had about half of that, but he had really big stuff,  like motorcycle parts.

Sys carved a pumpkin - a friendly face, isn't it? One of our own pumpkins!


They are really pushing it now, because they will be abroad for some time in November - holiday was booked before tornado. It will be a healthy pause for them.

This sauna is in old man's other property which was also hit by the tornado. Chimney is gone.

We have changed snow tyres to both cars (the royal we - hb and my uncle; I "just" made them coffee and sandwiches, heated the house, took dog for a walk and made laundry, filled the dishwasher, got some more firewood inside), It had been a lot warmer, but roads were so slippery there was no chance I could have driven anywhere without proper tyres.

I might have time to prepare for the Christmas, no building will be done unfortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment