Saturday 15 February 2020

Endless November with flu and other stuff

There is a common understanding this is officially the longest ever November. It begun in the middle of October and so far there's no end in sight. It's easy to discuss these days with total strangers: oh, please be wary of  at my car, it's so muddy - oh, so is mine, it is this November, can't bother to wash it anymore or: I'm sorry, I didn't notice you - oh it's all right I haven't properly woken up today as this November really gets me or: It's so dark, I do miss snow - yes! Who'd ever thought you could miss slush and plowing snow?!

We have our own version of COVID-19. Three kids sick so far, I thought I was going to get sick on Sunday end eded up drinking big pots of ginger-sage-mint-meadowsweet tea with honey. No signs of serious flu, yet. But D is really suffering, she was off school last week (exam week no less) and missed two exams, but then she has been out of school this week, too (managed to get to school only on two days); high fever, sore throat and nasty cough (somehow I always hear Michelle Gomez as Missy saying nasty...), and apparently sys is also having as hard time. Youngest got off more easily, but his cough is persisting. My friend just messaged her family is sufferting this, too.

Some days it feels like April when I'm walking with 'Suma. It's not a good thing, because, there will be frosts all the way to late May or early June, so no gardening can't be done in several weeks. Everything is muddy and grey and miserable. I guess nature is much more resilient than I am, most animals benefit of lack of snow (no need to dig for food) and freezing temperatures. Most plants will do allright, their rythm is scheduled by light (lenght of day) and not temperatures.
I put some corn, peas and sunflower seeds to sprout, I'd like to get some shoots to eat. But I think it's too dark for them! There's no snow to reflect light so it is really dark most of times. But I have seen sun this week!

I got my sewing machine back, 91€ with parts and proper cleaning, it should be working like a dream now! Owner (and mechanic) of the sewing machine repair shop said to me I shouldn't buy a new one, because my Pfaff is such a good workhorse. I have so many plans I don't know where to start! but at least I finished my winter jumper because I couldn't sew...  (I usually cast on a new jumper on Christmas, and finish it in maybe two years, I have few still halfway done from years ago, shame on me! Wip's, I have some...) Numer Two needs a pretty dress, but I have not the right fabric (black polkadot!) but tiny dress doesn't take much fabric.

Ys's room is slowly progressing. It might be ready by summer... Which summer, I don't know. Now I have bought treatment for the plastered wall and found a piece of plywood for windowsill.

No comments:

Post a Comment