Saturday 8 February 2020

Forward

Sister gave birth to a lovely girl on Monday. I had to arrange my schedules to be able to visit them - a good thing they moved here December, I couldn't have had time to go for a five hour trio this week.
My time was limited, because I had to make a working trip late night on Tuesday (and no, I don't get paid overtime for doing these, it's not extra income, it's all included in my montly salary; but I do get back travel expenses).
I was able to sew rocking chair cover I promised, and I was left with a small patch of leftover fabric. I decided to sew a pillow (I nipped in Ikea while on that working trip, they have decent toilets... so bought a cheap pillow to use as filling). This morning I was sewint that pillow cover, and my sewing machine broke! Presser foots (feet?) don't hold on anymore, and I just can't figure out what's wrong. Luckily I know a very good sewing machine shop few blocks from office, so I'll be going there on Monday.
I have been very satisfied with that simple Pfaff, I've been using it for 17 years (I just counted, because to me is't the new sewing machine!). I (or my mother, but I used it) had Husqarna electric sewing machine in the 80's and 90's, I sew most clothing my sister wore as a child (overalls, winter clothing, swimming suits, undies, fantasy dresses, plain t-shirts etc), all dresses I wore at any occasion... We also purchased a second hand Bernette interlocker in the late 80's. Husqarna was a wonderful machine, I could do a lot embroidery with it, and I LOVED the memory function; no problem to make 25 identical buttonholes! but it struggled with heavy fabrics, like several layers of denim.
Last thing I ever used it for was to hem my os's black trousers for his brothers' funerals. Right after that it just turned off and it couldn't be repaired. A year after that I finally bought a new machine (right before d was born, I wanted to sew some things for her, too), but couldn't spent thousands. So I settled on very simple and practical sewing machine which was cabable of sowing several layers of denim (I've tested it's abilities with 8 layers).
So I hope my machine can be repaired, because I think I can't get as good new machine anymore. I just can'n think life without sewing machine.

I learnt to sew when I was about five. My mother had two sewing machines, one basic Singer and one ancient Singer treadle machine (from her grandmother). I learnt to use the treadle machine, it made straight stitch and zig zag. First thing I ever made was a doll dress, long gone and forgotten. Everyone I knew had sewing machines, and used them. My second real summer job was in a large clothing factory as a seamstress, and next three years I worked in a large laundry doing alterations and repairs to work clothing they rented. So for four years I earned my living sewing.
My aunt was a seamstress, she had to retire early because she got byssinosis .

No comments:

Post a Comment