Thursday 31 December 2020

A New Year

It's a bit daring thought to wish everyone a happy new year. Never know what universe has hidden is her depths for us Earthlings.

We had peaceful Christmas, everyone was so happy about that. Today I finally took down the plastic from my polytunnel. Last chance, it started snowing while I was folding it, and it's been snowing ever since. Not yet 10cm of snow,  this is slow and light accumulation of snowflakes size of gingerbread cookies.

Just remembered I was suppose to take few herb pots inside, they're waiting just outside the front door!

'Suma hates fireworks. Ys absolutely loves fireworks. It's a tricky situation, but this new year we only got few and I was inside with older boys and 'Suma while ys, hb and d were firing rockets. 'Suma went hiding into the sauna during the day when bombing begun- we can hear them from nearby village and town. In the evening she just went hiding behind os and sys when we looked through windows to see all  fireworks. Hb bought "silent" fireworks that made much less noise.


4 comments:

  1. We can hope for a happy new year and better times though for now things are certainly not good. Good wishes coming to you from Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How casually you speak of 10cm of snow. That would cause most of the public transport in the UK to grind to a halt and half the population to stay indoors. In fact I've known a couple of cm to do that. We had snow in the Uk over Christmas but being by the sea I didn't see any. I know some towns and villages a few miles away got a smattering; and when I say smattering I only mean a little bit that stayed on the grass and hedges and rooftops but rapidly melted on the roads and paths. And although the temperatures have been below zero from time to time there's been no sign of snow here. With the wind from the sea it often feels much colder and I endured a particularly chilly walk to the gym where I was being hit in the face with hailstones all the way there, carried by the fierce wind. It was so cold on my forehead it felt like my brain was freezing. Which I'm sure is nothing compared to what you have.
    My dog hates fireworks too and November is our least favourite month because people set them off for weeks. There were a smattering this new year and I spent the transition between the years cuddling the dog and trying to stop him shaking as a result, but at least it was limited to a short period around midnight and we could both settle down after that. I keep thinking about remote cottages you could rent to get so far away from other people there'd be no risk of hearing any bangs... that's what I'm looking forward to in 2021. Here's health and happiness to all your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fifitr, have you ever heard about airport hotels having dogs staying there during New Year? Fireworks are banned in airports ( for obv reasons) so there is no explosions to scare off dogs. https://www.nordicchoicehotels.com/campaigns-and-offers/fyrverkerifritt-nyar/

      Delete
    2. I never have but that's a great idea. Plus I had several hotels booked when COVID hit so a couple of chains owe me nights I've already paid for. So that almost feels like a free stay to me! I'll check it out for next year - thank you, if they do it in the Uk that would be a perfect solution.

      Delete