Sunday 4 September 2022

Autunm overnight

A week ago we had a very hot weekend, Saturday evening was warm and calm. We spent it outside celebrating the end of summer (and my 50th birthday, which was few days earlier). A lots of bubbly, barbeque and cake!

Sunday was more windy but warm, I went to my plot and picked beans and zucchinis.

And then came Monday, rain and all. It was clearly autumnal feeling. I was away on a work trip for three days and managed to get home by Wednesday - just in time to cover all my delicate plants with fleece and sheets and everything I managed to find because instead of 18C night like we had on weekend we had frost. And ever since there's been frost during nights. So, we surely noticed the change of seasons!

So I'm not going to get corn cobs this year, they would have needed maybe three more weeks of warm (or at least not frosty) nights. And maybe more rain. Well, there might be a summer for corn one day.

Next week I'm off again for three days. I just hope kids will be nice and cover my plants when I'm away, I fear fleece will not stay in it's place because we have very windy days, again. Cold, straight from the North Pole I heard.

We still have some firewood to stack, it was too hot to do it earlier (it's been under cover and it's dry, so no worries). Teenagers are not very keen on doing such domestic tasks, who would have guessed 😆

I might have told at some point I do have Russian relatives. We are a bit worried about them, they are aging and times are difficult. No-one can visit them, because yes, you will get visa to cross the border - but if you are known to oppose Putin's war and politics, you will not be able to get back again, no matter of your nationality. And to be honest, no-one wants to get stuck in Russia now (or ever). My brother is on hiatus from Airb'n'b because he didn't want to accomodate Russian visitor... We are not very good in diplomacy - we love our Russian relatives and we fight for them to keep them feeded and able to live but we don't want to support Russian tourists. They (relatives, not tourists) have rabbits, and have been able to harvest enough hay for the winter to feed them - rabbits are not only food for them, they are valuable for bartering, too. My "aunt" has spent her summer preserving her garden products, we have received regular updates with lots of photos of jars filled with tomatoes, cucumbers, beans, berries, fruits...

No matter where you live, you're one of my family - in so many ways.

And Russian tourists will not get visas any longer (but I would like to give visas to people who are trying to take care of their family, like visiting their old parents).

My Ukraine field has sunflowers blooming! First opened in 24th August, just in time for Ukraine's Independence day! I was a bit worried I will not get flowers in time. I know no-one else will see my sunflowers, and no-one (except for you) will know about it. But I know it's there. (and yes, I've been donating money and food and other stuff so it's nor just my mental support I give to Ukraine).

So. Life is not as easy as it was a year ago. It is what it is. I'm off to stack some firewood. Winter IS coming and it's going to be a long, cold one.

No comments:

Post a Comment