Sunday 16 April 2023

Did I ever mentioned I hate flying?

This has been an extremely expensive winter. Electricity has been a nightmare to pay, so I had to pay only interest in mortage. Which means I need to pay mortage one more year. Bugger.

Food prices... I don't even. I have no idea how anyone can go on if there's no end on this inflation. I know I will survive, my family will survive, but it's not going to be funny. I even bought a bag of early potatoes to plant. Usually I plant just our regulars, but now I hope I can get spuds to eat late July, not in August. I bought okra seeds - I don't even know what does it taste of! I know it's edible...

Couldn't find a new cover for my polytunnel. Had to buy just plastic - but I'm in no hurry to cover the frame, because today I measured the depth of snow and it was over 30cm. But it's less than it was a week ago.

D is going to move on a bigger city, there's cheaper(!) rents and she wants to find a school to attend. She's working on a local shop on weekends, but her school here should be over by summer. It's bittersweet she's really really moving away from home... My cousin lives there, so she'll always have family there as a backup.

Ys had his medication changed, this one seems to ease on his eating, so hopefully he'll stop gaining weight (8kg per two months is way too much) AND he's able to stay awake most of the day! Yay! That is a very good result so far.

But what about flying?

I might have mentioned I have a EU job now. I'm working on things I'm good at, the are my expertise - but unfortunately I have to travel. A lot. Flying. So far I haven't missed my flight, but yes, my luggage has gone somewhere I didn't and of course flights have been delayed more than once. The same flight. I've spent more time in a airport than in the actual meeting waiting for the plane. I've run through Frankfurt airport (like two miles) to get to my gate. I've counted all hectolitres of fuel that's spent to fly me around. My carbon footprint has grown to unbearable.

But I have found good things too. WiFi works in every airport, some cities have free public transport and my team is a dream! I have been able to work from airports, so it's not all wasted time.

Kids are not very keen on me to be away from home. And poor 'Suma. She's miserable, and once I'm back home she's following me like a shadow. Her stomack is constantly upset - we really can smell she's not happy. I hope this will be easier once we have learnt how to do all this.

No comments:

Post a Comment