Tuesday 18 April 2023

Kitchen disasters

 I have them quite often in my kitchen. And I mean no regular Oh no I've burnt the cake or Oh dear why did you cook that? kind of things. Today a bottle of cooking oil slipped trought my fingers, all I was left holding was the cap of the bottle... I took the bottle out of the bottom cuboard and lifted it up from the cap. And it didn't keep closed...

It was quite a mess to clean, again. Luckily only few spoonfuls spread all ovet the kitchen floor and I was able to crab that bottle almoust instantly after it hit the floor.

But that's why I can't have nice things. I drop plates. Plural, not just one plate at the time, but my record is FOUR plates. I can't have those fancy ceramic stove tops (induction stove) because I keep dropping things even over my stove. I can drop a carton of eggs.

There's something wrong with my motoric skills, but at least I can tell this is how I have always been.

On the other hand I'm reasonable good cook. At least my kids like my cooking, and me too. Today I made kind of minced chicken gravy with pasta. Nothing left on the skillet. I can't eat chicken, so I made hummus with everything I found that needed using up. Few lonely olives, two cartons of chic peas (best before... 11/2020, they are fine), olive oil, liquid from pickled chillie's jar, and lime juice from lime I got "free" from food bank type of place.

I was asked to come and pick stuff from there, because first time in six months there were surplus! So I paid two euros and got three bags of rolls, two baguettes, two loaves of bread and four mandarines and four limes, two tubes of wasabi and a jar of roe out of all things! I love roe, but it's usually way out of my budget, so basically free roe is lovely! I took a bag of coriander and a bag of dill, they were more or less dead, but I'n still going to plant them and see if they will grow again.

And I forgot! I got a bunch of asparagus! A bunch would cost me around 4-5 euros, and even if this was a bit sad and sloppy bunch, I will get a good use of them. I cut off the hard and dried end of stalks and cut another short piece of and then I put them on a glass of water. I hope they will keep few days so I can eat thme with hb, but if they need to be used sooner, I will cook them. But those small bits I cut off (not dried ones)? I fried them with sesame oil, soy sauce and sesame seeds.

My freezer is full of bread, I have some luxury in my life and even the kitchen floor is clean!

No comments:

Post a Comment