Wednesday 16 August 2023

A star is born...

 It's me - a movie star!

Or not. But I got a very tiny role in small budget (read zero budget) children's film, I even got a line to say! Mostly my part was my feet walking up and down the stairs. They had an emergency, they needed someone and because someone in the team knew me and thought I might be able to be there at the time of the filming, they contacted me. Because of the small budget, no-one gets paid 😁 so it's very freelance and very indie stuff. But nevertheless it has never occurred to me I would be in a real movie. I doubt I ever will end up in IMDb.

Otherwise, life is just as it always is in the end of summer. Busy. Kids are back to school, ys has flu and there was a mix-up in d's rental and she got her power cut off - without any warning, of course. It was a real mess, their electricity is totally screwed and mixed with others, even with someones not living even there. At one point there were half a dozen electricians and some higher up people in their apartment wondering what the heck went wrong - among otoher things it turned out they have been paying wrong electric bill - they have smart meters of course, but somehow in the system their information has been connected to the wrong meter which isn't even located in their building. They should be compensated e.g. from spoiled food in the fridge - it was a heavy loss for low-income students but everything takes time of course and all three girls are fuming (d lives in apartment with two of her friends to keep costs lower). And the whole apartment block is a brand new, it was finished AFTER they moved in.

But yes, it was and still is a huge mess, yesterday they got two hours of electricity...

Garden is producing. I've picked currants for my mother to make cordial with steam juice extractor, she usually makes dozens of bottles, they keep nicely in their root cellar if there is glass bottles. Plastic bottles are not very good at preserving, so that juice is then put into freezers.

Zucchinies have a good year, and I've found some pumpkins emerging. I've been picking peas, shelled them and put in freezer, first handfull of greenbeans is waiting to be eaten (today), this is my best year ever to grow potatoes and even corn is looking promising. There is tomatoes coming, but none of them is even blushing yet. Pickling cucumbers are a dissapointment, there haven't been any yet.

Garlic is about to be ready to pull out, I need - I really should - to build another bed for garlic, it's something we use every day in cooking. I used my last garlic gloves last week and pulled first of new harvest yesterday, it was really good looking.

And 'shrooms! This has been a very good yeat to forage mushrooms. Porchinis, chaterelles, hedgehog mushrooms, milk caps... I know most people will not forage or eat milk caps, but they are really nice preserved in brine. Maybe it's just me and my lovely childhood memories?

No comments:

Post a Comment