Saturday, 29 August 2026

Birthday cake

 Another birthday, another cake.

I don't use any ready mixes for baking - they are not very common here, so they are expensive - and the truth is I bake much tastier cakes by myself.

Its starts with and empty spring form, which is buttered and coated with bread crumbs. I remember the clinking sound my granmother's ring made whes she was breading cake forms. I don't use rings, but I was so happy one time when I had my ring and I managed to make the excact sound!


Butter and breadcrumbs prevent batter to stick the form. You can use margarine and semolina, or even flour (I use flour when I'm baking gluten free cakes). People usually say baking is so difficult, you have to measure everything to carefully and stick to the receipe. Sometimes, maybe, when you are trying something new to you?

I'm measuring ingredients to my cake with coca-cola glasses. Equal amount of eggs, sugar and plain flour (all purpose, I suppose - I just use the cheapest wheat flour I can get). 


They are even. Maybe?

Then you have to whisk your eggs and sugar. I use electric hand mixer, but I know people who does this by hand whisk. Not me, too much effort. What ever suits you. Foam have to be stiff and fluffy and very pale - I really tried to take a picture, but this was all I got:


I was trying to demonstrate the thickness of batter - you should be able to draw 8 on it.

Then you "carefuly fold flour sifted flour to the batter". Or then you just pour the flour from the glass to the batter and whisk it lightly with a ball whisk. Like I do. Pour batter to the form:


I have a large spring form and used 7 small eggs - cake needs room to expand while it is baking. There are several way testing if the cake is ready - I use dry spaghetti. If batter doesn't stick to the spaghetti, it's done.

Next part is the most difficult for me - cutting the cake in three layers. I always make a mess, so no picture.
We eat strawberry-mixed berry- cake with vanilla cream filling and caramel on top. I've made this cake maybe a hundred times and it always looks a bit lopsided:


So, architects cover their mistakes with virginia creeper, doctors with soil and I use whipped cream!



This was very delicious and it was also eaten in two days by six people.

No comments:

Post a Comment