Thursday 28 February 2019

Planning the planting

I have just only started on digging my stash of seeds for veggie plot. I don't usually grow any flowers apart from those I can use somehow (like nasturtium seeds as capers or marigolds as insect repellant in veg plot etc) so it's only boring vegetables.

Should I put them in alphabetical order?
Or arrange them in order I need to precultivate them?
Or in groups which goes where in my veggie plot?
Or which are the most important ones?

And I'm sure I haven't even found all of them. Spinach was stored upside down and all seeds had scattered to the bottom of one of plastic boxes  have been keeping my seeds. I didn't remember I had spinach seeds. I doesn't do well because of all light we have during summer (it's not plant of long days, it bolts right away). I'll sow only NZS, it'll do fine for us.

It's a good thing I checked my existing seeds. There's only few things I need to buy. Broad beans (they did suffer last summer, hot weather and aphids tortured my plants, my sisters broad beans didn't do any better). Carrots (I'd like to have seeds in ribbons/tape/whatever, so no need to thin them so much). Peas (not snap peas, I've still got those). And if I can find patty pan zucchinis I'll buy them, I haven't found them in ages!

I thought I didn't have beans... well, I do. I also have several packets of chard (even my favourite Bright Lights, it's basically just a mix of different colours but I really like it), pumpkins and zucchinis, salads, radishes, kales and other brassicas (I might buy a packet of plain cabbage seeds, I have red cabbage but not white). I have plenty of corn, it hasn't done well lately for some reason. I have specials, like jungle cucumber (cucamelon or something like that), watermelons, "melons" (no idea what they are apart that they are melons, not watermelons, the picture looks like cantaloupe to me). Also I have chilis and cucumbers, and calendulas, marigolds and nasturtiums. I might buy sunflowers, they usually do poorly, bit I keep trying anyway.

I also need to plan where to put what. I have an old pile of horse manure, pumpkins might like that. Melons need warmth, so they will go to polytunnel.

So far I have only sowed some peas for peashoots (dried peas ment for soups), os eats them straight from the pot, I don't even need to cut them for him. Because I apparently have enough spinach seeds to grow Popey his year's need I need to figure out what to do with it. Maybe I can grow it in pots and use as shoots as I use peas. Oh, and I need to put some popcorn seeds to sprout so we can eat corn shoots!

And I found a big packet of meadow mix, they are supposed to be sown in autunm as well as corn salad. I really need to think how I'm able to have place for autunm planting/sowing, because at the moment i have two raised beds full already, garlic and brassicas. I have high hopes for garlic.

How come they say gardening eases your stress?

No comments:

Post a Comment