Tuesday 23 April 2019

Can't be summer yet!

Today it was about +20C, way too hot for April!
I tried to remember how was last spring. Snow didn't melt until late April, now most of it is gone, only some left behind the trampoline and at the end ot the field. Veggie plot is clear!
Cold frames/raised beds are still frozen, there is hard ice about 15cm below the surface. I could sow carrots there already?

I have now 4 frames, I build the latest one late autunm for garlics. And NOW I find garlics in the first one, which is ment for beans this summer... Those garlics are from the imported variety I sow autunm 2017, they vanished during last summer (when my Russian variety went wild), maybe it was too hot and too dry, even if I watered them almost daily. Well, they sprouted again last autunm, and I dug them up - there were no bulbs, just large cloves. Apparently I didn't dug all of them, there is about 10 plants left. I managed to dig uo two of them, but the rest are still below frozen layer of mulch. I started a new bed for them, build from broken bricks I found under some timber. I have also new good bricks, but those are intended to something else. I still need maybe 12 bricks for another layer, after that I think that bed is deep enough and I can fill it with compost (or mulch).
Garlics in their intended cold frame are also sprouting, but that bed is seriously frozen, it lost snow only last weekend.

I took car to garage for repairs and maintenance, just under 700€! I had to spend another 15€ for battery replacement fot the key fob, it's damaged and there is only one mechanic who knows how to tweak it after the battery replacement... Fortunately he was at work today. Now I need to take MOT, but couldn't do it today because of headache.

During repairs I walked to shopping center nearby, I had only my backbag so no big shopping. First I had to heat to the pharmacist, I had serious headache. After two painkillers and two mugs of tea (there is this big cafeteria/pizzeria/lunch buffet/hamburger joint) and 1 hour later I felt human enough to actually try to do some shopping. I found purple potato seedlings, and broad beans I needed.

I didn't found mini greenhouse I needed, I guess I have to head for the town center tomorrow and forgot about fleece covering for polytunnel. But I found decent sale on garden mulch 10€/5 sacks), so I popped back there once I got my car back. I'll be back there tomorrow, I can fit five or six sacks of mulch in the back of my car, no more. I think I'll need at least four trips, and then I have enough for some spare, too. One or two sacks for the new garlic beg, two sacks per each cold frames, and several for polytunnel beds.

Weather is going to be "hot" for the fer next days, and I'll try to take advance of that as much as I can. Veggie plot can't be tilled yet (still frozen below surface), but at least some of the cold frames will be ready for sowing. And I really want to build another bed for strawberries...
I found first small shoots of nettles, but they can't be picked yet, less than two cm height, so I'll have to wait.

Another two pills and my headache is finally eased to the point it doesn't hurt to breath. When I was young this was really bad, this headache is sometimes called shotgun headache, because all you want is a shotgun to get rid of that pain... I can't go to sleep until pain is gone, or it gets worse and worse. I have tried every trick, but only help is to get right painkillers once I feel the first pang of pain. And with the painkillers it might take a week...
There is some irony because sometimes I also have a migraine - painless one!

No comments:

Post a Comment