Saturday 27 April 2019

Can't be summer yet!

Last year spring was 1 week, from the first of May on. Then came summer. And no, I'm not only one who remembers it that way, most farmers confirm that.

This morning when I put shutters closed (because sun rises from east and our big dining/family room windows are facing east) I noticed all snow is gone! Even from the furthest corner of the field. There's usually snow even later on May, and now it's all gone.

But what is more important and much more worrying is that there has been no rain since March. Evereything is bone dry, ready to combust. Ten years ago garden magazines were bursting of advices to take benefit of spring moisture in ground to plant trees and bushes. Now they say "Keep an eye if moisture evaporates on the spring winds and start watering your plants sooner than later". Because now we have spring winds.

It was very warm spring 33 years ago. We (at boarding school) took showers under a gutter - that was the rain from Chernobyl. I haven't had my radiation levels measured, but I know people no more than 50 miles away have very high levels (if I remember right it's cesium they are monitoring). Now HBO has made mini series about that. because Chernobyl i don't let my children eat as much mushrooms they want, because radioactive materials are high amounts in some mushrooms my children love (in this area, so it is around the Scandinavia).
And we were able to shower in rain because of Stanislav Petrov, a man who didn't blindly follow his orders three years earlier.

Uuups, a bit far from my garden now. Have slept 3 hours last night, 5 hours prev. Not very bright eyed.

Anyway. I sowed carrots and parsnips yesterday, as well as beets. Carrots and parsnips are in one of cold frames, but beets I sowed in a tray in polytunnel. I have been told beets will bolt if seedlings get cold. I have brassica seedlings in polytunnel, and today I might sow some sunflowers. I have had very pool succes with sunflowers lately, but I'm not the one to give up. I didn't give up runner beans, and last summer I had the best harves ever.
I have some chili seedlings, but they will stay inside at least one more week, as well as melons and halloween pumpkins and giant pumpkins. I might need to sow zucchinis soon, hb promised me a heater to the polytunnel. Oh,  I have sweetcorn in trays, not sprouted yet.
Glass greenhouse is empty atm, but I will fill it later with seedlings, beans did really well last spring there. maybe I'll sow some salads and peas in there, to make it look more lived in.
It will take six more weeks before I can plant most of my plants to the veg plot. Last frost day is 10th June, but I usually wait until 15th, i have witnessed -15C frost on 10th June. Our cherry tree froze to death.
Well, I guess I'll better get going, listing my works doesn't do them.

No comments:

Post a Comment