Wednesday 10 April 2019

Trying to make paneer for the first time or how I always end up eating too much

One day there were whole shelf of full milk reduced (someone had miscalculated the sell of said milk and it was near best before date). I bought 2 l because I have long time wanted to make cheese at home. As I said, I have made egg cheese previously (about 20 years ago... where has all this time gone?), but wanted try the most simple cheese, cottage cheese or paneer.
Turns out, only difference in cottage cheese and paneer (paneer means cheese, so paneer cheese, I was told, is just saying cheese cheese) is salt, paneer does not have it.
So the simplest is paneer.

Heat up milk, stir in some lemon juice (ot vinegar will do, as well as citric acid or even natural yoghurt or buttermilk), wait for the whey separate from the curds, drain it in muslin lined sieve and there it is.

Well, it's never so simple, is it?

First of all, I have fear of burning my milk when I'm heating it to boil. Some receipes say just heat the milk and take away from heat, some say keep boiling for 5mins or 10mins.
I took it away from the heat.
How much of lemon juice? Some say 1tbsp/500ml milk, some say 1 tbsp/1litre.
And then: keep stirring after you have added the acid - stir the acid in and leave it.
Wait until curd has separated, pour it to the muslin covered sieve (over a pot or something to collect the whey). Rinse it? Wait for an hour? Squeese curd with muslin and leave it to drain overnight? if you leave it for too long time, it'll turn hard?
I waited fot an hour and collected the curd - now cheese - patted it to nice flat shape and covered it with the muslin and put into fridge overnight.

On the next day I took it from the fridge to cut it, it was really soft. Oh well, you live and learn. I ended up making some kind of version of matar paneer.
I fried paneer (yes I know, some say never fry paneer) and I was suprised it actually hold some of it's shape when added to rest of my concotion.
But, it tasted fine, good actually. No, it was delicious even if it was more or less mushy. I ate first plate plain without any rice or naan or whatnot. Today I ate some of it with curried bulghur and lentils I found from freezer.

But I forgot to tell I made also some hummus (never done myself that either). It was really good, too. it was nice with carrot sticks, but we run out of carrots, so we had some tortilla crisps. And then I had a bun with hummus as breakfast.  And as a little evening snack.

My co-worker suggested I should cooc porridge with rye flour and water. No salt.

Black hole today was beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment