Wednesday 10 February 2021

School meals at home?

D is at home for three weeks, before that they were alternating home and physically at school every ither week. She's not coping well schoolwise  but socially Ok.

I've picked her school meal packets/bags every week now.

So in three weeks she has got:

3kg potatoes

2kg carrots

1 tomato

1 orange

1 iceberg salad head

2 sweet papricas

1 container potato salad

1 bottle of salad dressing

400g pasta

1kg rice

1kg porridge oats

1 jar strawberry jam

1 jar salsa

1 jar sweet'n sour sauce

1 tub spread

1l milk 

5 cheese rolls

400g crispy rye bread

1 packet soft rye bread ( sourdough)

10 eggs

400g minced meat

150g shredded cheese

1 bag prunes

1 tin tuna

Taco shells

1 tub cheesy dip

1 packet sausages

1 packet chicken nuggets

2 packets pancakes (spinach and plain)

1 bag chicken meat balls

1 tin split pea soup

1 container creamy vegetable soup

3 bags pasta meals ( just add water. And flavour)

4 microwave meals (lasagne, chicken soup, salmon casserole, ham casserole)


I'm actually a bit confused, this is SO much! I'm also very thankful. This is by no means "free" food, I've paid it in my taxes, but I have to say I've really got my money's worth! I'm not going to complain lack of fresh fruits ( it's winter) or amounts of processed meats (this needs to be edible for teenage boys, and they need their meatballs and sausages -and I could have ordered vegetarian packs, I chose carnivore version).

Kids are loving those ready meals, we don't usually have them! I'm happy there's also been  things to make meals from scratch, so I've been able to use them in our family meals.

On Friday we'll hear if she will be studying at home or be able to go back to school. Unfortunately I think she'll be at home few more weeks. It isn't doing any good to her studies. I'm considering if I should ask if she'd be able to redo these terms again next year. She's agreeing with me  which is very worrying.



1 comment:

  1. Maybe I eat too much (my waistline would certainly support that conclusion) but given that some things don't really seem to fit with the other ingredients it doesn't sound that much to me on first glance. But when I started working out the servings of protein it seems like you could make a lot of meals so long as you had extra veg to go with them and didn't mind things like sweet and sour meatballs (the only thing I could think of to use that jar up). The soup, cheese rolls, ready meals and pasta meals take care of almost three weeks of lunches on their own so yes, that is a lot of food for one child.

    Anything you don't have turns into a treat after a while, even a ready meal - maybe they're better in your country but most of what's available here isn't a patch on homemade. A white roll or a crusty baguette is something I love because I eat so much wholemeal bread. White sourdough is even better - I can eat that on its own as a special treat!

    It must be so hard to be switching from home to school to home again, so disruptive. I hope things settle down for her. To me education is all about grasping basic principals - how to form an argument, how language functions, how to compose an essay, how to do research, how practical mathematics and science works. If you've not really got these things down, if you're sketchy about them, then I would retake. It's very easy to say a child will catch up along the way but the techniques and understanding learned in school, more than any specific facts, dates or subjects, seem to me to be what underlies a child's future ability to learn, to work and to prosper.

    I'll just get down off my soapbox now!

    We're heading for -10 degrees here, so I'll get to experience a bit of what you 'enjoy' in the winter. Winds have been so strong you have to lean to avoid being blown over on the seafront. We've had snow and lots of ice so we're living off the store cupboard and some long-lasting vegetables at the moment. I just have to work out a menu that uses up 4 cabbages this week!

    ReplyDelete