Wednesday 14 July 2021

The hottest summer

I think we are having the hottest and driest summer ever. We had some rain roughly a week ago (for an hour or so, light drizzle), and before that it was two weeks without rain. June is supposed to be wettest of our summer months, and yes, it did rain at least in four days in June vs one day in July so far. 

But the heat! Our temps have been over 25C since Midsummer, 3 and half weeks, and no cooler weather is promised. Nights are warm, over 20C, which means house doesn't get any cooler during the night. We have our cooler, but it isn't meant to cool down this much. There's no night mist, I need to water my plants every day. But I just can't water potatoes. They have stopped growing and are drying. But at least there's some potatoes, and they  will keep nicely underground. It's not like they will rotten! More likely they'll bake...

But the soul is rock hard. Clay keeps moisture for a very long time, but not for ever! I dug first potatoes today, and it was hard work. I ended up breaking several spuds just because I had to use my hoe as an axe to get through hard dry clay!!! Potatoes are small, but at least I don't have to scrub them much, just to blow dust away before boiling!


No comments:

Post a Comment