Sunday 25 July 2021

Book worm

I used to profilic reader. And I mean it, I used to read a book a day, sometimes two. When boys died, I lost reading. I couldn't read a book - I couldn't even read an article out of a gardening magazine. Heck, I couldn't even read product labels of the food stuff I was buying!

But I've always been a reader, and it was another thing that hurt me,  another thing I lost with my children.

It took me years to be able to read any kind of fictional texts,  scientific and professional stuff came back first. And now I hope I've gotten reading back to me.

Last week d had to go to town because she needed a new bank account, internet banking stuff etc. So visit to bank was needed - we had to book meeting beforehand, and when I contacted that specific bank I got a meeting... In five weeks! It's impossible to rob a bank nowadays. Firstly, they don't let you in unless you have booked a meeting, they'll check your id before you even step inside the bank! And most notably, they don't have ANY money in bank!

Anyway, we managed to get everything done and on our way back to our car we spotted a small book shop of old/used books. We stepped in, and I lured d to look for reference books for her art and I was drawn to a scifi shelf... Now I'm owner of Unfinished Tales of Numenor and Middle-earth (edited by J.R.R. Tolkien's son Christopher). It was labelled 40€ which was way above the price I could pay for one book. D found wonderful huge anatomy book (with a lot of drawings of dead people - what is that thing with anatomy drawings and dead people?) I found Asimov's The Gods Themselves and another scifi book I've wanted to read ever since it eas published,  but it's been available only in UK and I'm not there. I don't buy my books from net. And I don't read ebooks!

I left the Tolkien book on the shelf, and when we stacked other books on the till the owner told me he could sell me the Unfinished tales a bit cheaper. After some hmmms and ummms he made an offer I couldn't refuse! I won't be buying anything for quite a long time, that quick visit was way too expensive... but I know I'll be reading the Tolkien book for years. Asimov is already read. I sat down on Friday night and I thought I'll just read the first few pages. After four hours I had only few pages left. So I thought I might as well read the whole book in one sitting.  I hadn't read it before, but it's the same age I am! It was about time to read it!

But honestly, I don't remember when was the last time I was able to read a whole book in one go. And it was nice to find out that I'm still able to do that.

Tolkien book will not be read in one go. It will be read during several years. It's heavy, text is unfinished (as per title) and not a story, not even a background story, it's compilation of Tolkien's notes. 

I'm quite convinced my children will hate when I'm gone. I'm sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment