Sunday 22 August 2021

No waste pie

Or quiche. I found a packet of thinly sliced sandwich ham ( pålägg) which was already past it's use by date. There's two kind of dates here, best before and use by; best before means that product is at it's best until thst date, but it stays edible a lot longer (if it ever goes bad at all). Use by is more strict, it means this stuff is safe to eat before this date,  and might be bad or even dangerous later. I opened the packet and it was fine. But it was way too much to eat in my breakfast bun, so I thought I should bake a pie. Or quiche. Whatever, pie is easier to say and write.

I made my basic pie pastry and rummaged fridge for other ingredients. Some old hard Italian cheese (best before 27th July; it might be past it's prime because I've opened and eaten some of it but I quess it will keep until Christmas) and leftover of some emmental and soft cheese. End of zucchini, some wilted beet leaves. A carton of cream (best before 22nd July, but cream keeps a lot longer).


A much more than just a packet of ham about to be fed to 'Suma. She got few slices, so no worry.

I'm trying to avoid food waste, and these savoury quiches are easy and tasty way to use up leftovers and forgotten treasures. This one will be our lunch today, and my lunch tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. That looks delicious. I have some bits and pieces in my fridge that need to be used up. Now I know what dinner is going to be tonight. A quiche and salad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are facing the challenge of many things going past their best while we've been away. Todays breakfast cereal was a few months older than it should be but we ate it anyway, waste not want not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quiche is beautiful and I’m sure it was very tasty. They are a good way to use up items in your pantry and fridge and avoid food waste like you said.

    ReplyDelete