Wednesday 14 June 2023

Destroying neighbours plants

 With his blessing.

Our neighbour is an old man, way over his 90's. Ten years ago we agreen I would be responsible to destroy giant hogweed from his garden. It was a huge benefit for me - I don't have to worry about that spreading in to our land, and I got free access of his currants and rhubarb. Ever since Ive been diligenty, every summer, tried to get rid of his hogweeds. And I've been succesfull. Ten years ago his garden had a nook with about 200 more more giant hogweed plants, it was a jungle. And now, this summer, I found maybe 6-7 bigger plants and only handful of seedlings. Seedlings will be there "forever", you have to be very careful for the next ten years, at least. But all in all, I have won the battle and I will win this war.

But on the other side of the road is his field. It was full of lupins. They are also not wanted plants, they displace native plant species and their pollen is toxic to bumblebee larvae. Last summer I decided to tackle that battlefield and cut all lupins. I'm sure I have to fight ten more years, there is so much seeds in the soil. I've been succesfully cutting lupins from my own yard, there's only two plaves with lupins.

Some people think it's pointless to try to get rid of these plants, you can't win. They are wrong.

And in the end I've got endless supply of currants and rhubarb!

No comments:

Post a Comment