Friday 15 January 2021

Coping the cold

 It's been cold few days. First we had what was left of Spanish snowstorm. We got only like 10 more centimeters of snow, but it came with harsh wind and formed tight dunes over all roads. We managed Ok, but school taxi got stuck in the snow and the driver had to dig his van free. Poor guy, but that's why they have shovels in cars.

Then my cousin (ex rally driver ) tested his four wheel drive and narrowly escaped ditch, but of  course our new postman followed his  wheeltracks and got stuck in the ditch. I love my cousin but sometimes he drives me nuts.

After snowstorm came deep freeze. A good time to defrost the freezer... no suprises there, a bit dissapointing to be honest. I would love to have found some salmon or fish eggs... but no.

We had to buy new skis and ski boots for ys, they has PE at school and because someone destroyed skating ice, no skating, only skiing. PE is everything outside because of covid. Skis and boots fit sys too, he likes to ski, and our neighbour already made skiing track base in to the fields. At 11pm, in -27C. No bad weather  only wrong clothing.

I knew cold weather was on it's way, so I made  sure I burnt enough wood in all fireplaces a day before. If the house  is warm when cold weather hits, it's much easier to keep warm. If I let house to cool down and the try to heat it with excess wood burning, I only end up with cracked chimneys. Our house is big and I can keep it warm(ish) with electric (we have under floor heating), but I'm not happy to pay all that money.

I made sure I brought two crates full of fire wood inside so I didn't had to worry if I'm too busy to get them inside when it's really cold ( still working from home). I checked kids had warm clothes ready. They have thick coats with hoods. When temperatures go down  a hood is easy way to protect head and face. Even better if it has ( fake) fur trim, it creates micro climate inside the hood and your face will not freeze.

I got frostbites on my face when I was a child  cheeks freeze easily if there's wind. So my face gets easily frostbitten even now, so I know it is important to protect kids' faces.

And cold weather came. -30C was coldest. In really really cold winters it might get down to  -37C, but it rarely happening. Once in a decade. Usually cold spells are only down to - 25C to -30C. Yes, it is cold. Sys complained hs nosehair froze inside his nostrils. Sorry but I laughed so hard...

Mrs Nostradamus made a scarf for The Doctor, I made them to my kids.



Very useful.

And yes, they are waiting taxi inside a bin shelter, it was built for that,  too. It gives protection from rain and winds, and my aunt sort her rubbish so there's no foul smells. Boys  have long johns under they trousers, and hand knitted socks.

'Suma has no problems to go out for any reason or to go just for a walk. So far so good  but my knees are freezing. The colder it gets the shorter walks we do. Now it's roughly 20 min and 2km. Pretty Boy and Big Brother have decided litter box will do until it gets warmer. Cars must be preheated. My gearbox was a but stiff, but it warmed soon enough.

Some things are on hold until it gets warmer. But it's ok, it will get warmer. In the meantime we just try not to get frostbites or hypothermia.

2 comments:

  1. We're in the middle of a very bitter cold snap as well. I agree it's easier to keep the house warm if it doesn't cool off too much. Sounds like you're doing well to stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I can even imagine how cold -25 would feel, but with everything in place I can see it would just be normal if you live there, and everything's adapted to deal with the excess cold. I envy your kids getting to ski and skate for PE lessons. I have always loved skating outdoors but it's not something you ever get to do in the UK. I will definitely be stealing the tip about fur hoods creating a microclimate. I don't imagine it does any part of the house much good to be cooled to below freezing then heated up again, over and over, so keeping everything toasty seems like a very good plan, if you've got enough wood (and I imagine storing wood is taken very seriously when the winters get that cold!) Take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete